Herbs for Health/COMFREY FOR TOOTH REGROWTH?

Question
HELLO:

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WAYS TO DESPERATELY REGROW MY RUINED TEETH. THEY DO NOT LOOK THAT BAD, BUT BAD FOR ME, I WOULD LIKE TO GET THEM BACK TO THEIR NATURAL STATE, SO I LOOKED ONLINE AND CAME ACROSS COMFREY ROOT, THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT STRAINS, ONE MORE TOXIC THAN THE OTHER. I HAVE HAD LIVER PROBLEMS, BUT I AM DESPERATE, HOW CAN I USE COMFREY SAFELY TO REPAIR MY TEETH AND GUMS WITHOUT HURTING MYSELF? WHAT STRAIN SHOULD I USE? (Symphytum uplandica x or Symphytum officinale, more dangerous?)

Penny

Answer
Hi Penny,

I would not use comfrey root internally.

It is great external usage for injuries but it stops there.

In the past, comfrey was also used to treat stomach problems. However, the herb contains dangerous substances called pyrrolizidine alkaloids that are very toxic to the liver and can cause death. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration no longer allows any oral comfrey products to be sold in the U.S. The United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and Germany also have banned the sale of oral products containing comfrey.

Consult with your dentist for the most viable treatments.

Best wishes,
Dennis

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen