Herbs for Health/digestion problems

Question
I became sick 10 years ago after taking  a strong but short, 2 week, course of antibiotics.

I tried to help myself through various herbal remedies, change in diet and seeing numerous doctors. I still have a problem with digestion and have numerous allergies/sensitivities. I currently have to maintain a low sugar/starch, low fat and low protein diet to be able to function daily and to maintain a job.
I have always maintained an active lifestyleand have recently started a weightlifting program to supplement my cardio exercise.
Initially I had trouble finding food that I could eat without pain so I ended up losing half of my weight - I was hospitalized for anorexia at 69 lbs. I am up to 135 lbs right now but while I was underweight and sick I lost my period for 8 years, developing osteoprosis in my spine. My menstrual cycle returned 2 years ago and I have been doing better with my weight, diet and energy levels and would like to get some advice on improving my health through nutrition and herbal or natural remedies - for a heathy long term existence.
my current diet consists of 2-3 pound of zuchinni, 1 head of cabbage and 1 head of celery, 1L sugar-free yogurt, 1 litre of almond milk,  handful of mushrooms, handful of tomatoes, 1 package of onion soup, several tablespoons of dressing, 1 slice smoked salmon
I occasionally use very small amounts of herbs to help with digestion, pain relief, etc. But nothing is taken on a regular daily basis.
I have recenlty started drinking dandelion tea regularly which help with my energy level, stimulate digestion and bowel movements.
I have started taking a multivitamin daily as I read that certain vitamins help stimulate some of the digestive processes.
I started taking small amounts of herbs to control the yeast, bacterial infection in my intestines and bladder infection.

Resolution of some problems
I have resolved several chronic problems such as:
- diarrhea - likely lactose intolerance related
- urinary incontinence caused by consumption of sugar in fruit,
- very painful swelling in legs caused by sensitivity to sugar and lactose intolerance,
- severe abdominal bloating, distention and flatulence,
- low energy levels- falling asleep every couple of hours,
- maintenance of lactose intolerance and related symptoms - bloating, swelling, diarrhea,
-  unbearable itchiness of very sensitive areas of the body caused by sensitivity to sugar and acidic foods such as tomatoes,
- chronic vaginal yeast infections for 2 years, caused by a very mild and short 2-3 day course of antibiotics for bladder infection  - I tried to avoid antibiotics but it was unavoidable at that time but the symptoms of the bladder infection were unbearable.

Are my digestion problems related to lack of digestive enzymes or gastric juices? i have seen doctors, gastroentologists, dieticians, naturopaths, please provide some advice - anything is appreciated.

Answer
Hi Irina,

You are doing much to help yourself. Let me see if I can add to that.

First, I would start with a Probiotic Supplement to help restore and maintain a healthy intestinal flora.

Garlic—(Kyolic) 2 capsules 3 times daily—Kills bacteria and parasites. Enhances immunity.

Vitamin B complex—100 mg daily. All B vitamins are necessary for digestion and absorption.

Alfalfa is a good natural source of vitamin K and valuable minerals, which are often deficient in people with intestinal disorders. It also contains chlorophyll, which aids in healing. Take 2,000 mg in capsule or extract form.

You should get at least 30 grams of fiber each day. Brown rice is an excellent source. As is Oat bran. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables.

Food allergies, especially milk products are often the culprit as you have already eliminated sugar. Also eliminate all caffeine products.

Milk thistle, 500 mg twice daily will aid the liver in eliminating harmful waste from the body. A wonderful antioxidant.

I would juice at least twice daily using: Alfalfa greens, Apple, Brussel sprouts, Cabbage, Green vegetables, Carrot, Beet, Cucumber, Celery, Dandelion greens, Kale, Lettuce, Leek, Radish, Parsnip, Red Clover, Soybean sprouts, Spinach, Tomato, and Turnip greens. Juice with whatever veggies are fresh or in season.

These vegetables contain eight essential Amino Acids that aid in the digestive tract, the liver and gall bladder and regulating metabolism. They also aid the functions of the spleen, pancreas, and lymph glands.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes for the New Year.
Dennis

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen