Herbs for Health/sinus infections

Question
I have 4 kids ages 11-6, my middle 2 are very prone to sinus/ear infections every time they get a cold and end up on antibiotics.  I have tried to wait it out and let them heal on their own but after 1-2 weeks the infections seem to get worse and worse and the kids are miserable the entire time.  They irrigate their sinuses 2-3 times a day and I do use OTC medications at night to help them sleep.  We are currently in the middle of one of these sessions and I would like an alternative.  I have been reading about Apple Cider Vinegar but would like to hear more about this or another option.  Can you help?  
Thanks!

Answer
Hi Melissa,

Sinusitis is an inflammation of the nasal sinuses. There are four sets of open spaces within the bones of the skull that are part of the “plumbing” system of the head. There are sinuses above the eyes (frontal sinuses); to either side of the nose, inside the cheekbones (maxillary sinuses); behine the bridge of the nose (sphenoid sinuses); and in the upper nose (ethmoid sinuses).

Each individual tends to have problems with a particular set of sinuses. If the sinuses are too small or poorly positioned to handle the mucus produced, they can become clogged. Sinuses that are clogged for a long time seem to invite infection.

NUTRIENTS

Acidophilus—As directed on the label.—Replaces good bacteria in the colon. Very important if antibiotics are prescribed. Use a nondairy formula.

Quercetin—As directed on label.—Protects against allergens and increase immunity.

Multivitamin—As directed on label. –To improve overall health and assure proper nutrition.

Garlic (Kyolic)—2 capsules 2 times daily.—An immune system stimulant that helps to keep infection in check.

HERBS

Anise, Marshmallow, and Red clover tea help to loosen phlegm and clear congestion.

Mullein reduces inflammation and soothes cough and irritation.

Give them at least 3,000 mg of vitamin C daily.

Eat as much raw foods as possible.

Drink plenty of water and fresh vegetable juices.

Eliminate sugar.

And yes, apple cider vinegar would help fight disease.

Best wishes,
Dennis

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen