Herbs for Health/prednisone side effects

I have been on prednisone for pulmonary problems. I am bloated, face swollen and gained 15lbs. I eat well... fish, nuts, juicing, . Is there anything I can take to reduce the effects of this while still taking the drug? I am now on 20mg daily.

Hi Kathleen,

The reason for the bloating and the weight gain is that your organs, mainly the liver and the kidneys can't process the prednisone, hence, your body retains the toxins.

Prednisone is widely prescribed for a variety of disorders and this steroid causes a lot of side-effects. However, it is also effective and some people handle it well if they're not on it too long.

I would take 500 mg of full spectrum Milk Thistle 3 times a day to aid your liver which is under much stress.

I would take two capsules of 500 mg Dandelion root to help purify the blood to aid the kidneys.

I would also take 350 mg of Yellow Dock 2 times daily to aid in purifying the blood and liver.

Eliminate animal protein, especially beef. Limit other meat servings to two times a week.

Eat a diet that consists of 75 per cent raw foods, vegetables and fruit. Eat garlic, potatoes, asparagus, parsley, watercress, celery, cucumbers, papaya, and bananas.

Take a Vitamin B complex 100 mg 3 times daily for proper digestion, absorption of nutrients, and formation of red blood cells.

Acidophilus - as directed on label, 3 times daily. Take on an empty stomach. Very important for your intestinal flora.

A good, reliable source for these herbs and supplements is Swanson Vitamins. They are oganic and will save you $$$.

I apologize for my slow response but I only received your question today when All Experts e-mailed me.

Best wishes,

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen

I can answer most questions on herb usage and and am very familiar with (gras) herbs, generally recognized as safe. I am very knowlegible in nutritional healing. I have extended education in detoxing the body and fasting for health. I believe in the Naturopathic belief, the body get sick in only two ways; either because it is too toxic, or it is malnurished. I grow, wildcraft, and make most of my herbal remedies.

Past/Present clients
Individuals, will furnish upon request