Herbs for Health/basil

Dennis:  I planted basil this year so I can make my own pesto.  What are these little pod things that are growing? like a little pepper.  I tasted one and it is really hot like a jalapeno.  Are they eatable or what do you do with them?  Thanks for any info.

Hi Darlene,

Most of the Asian basils have a clove-like flavor that is, in general, stronger than the sweet basil used in Italian cuisine. Once the plant is allowed to flower, it may produce seed pods containing pepper-like flavor although I've never tasted any as hot as jalapeno.

There are many cultivars on the market with more varieties coming each year. So make sure that you plant sweet or Italian basil and you'll get the type you want for pesto.

Best wishes, Dennis

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen

I can answer most questions on herb usage and and am very familiar with (gras) herbs, generally recognized as safe. I am very knowlegible in nutritional healing. I have extended education in detoxing the body and fasting for health. I believe in the Naturopathic belief, the body get sick in only two ways; either because it is too toxic, or it is malnurished. I grow, wildcraft, and make most of my herbal remedies.

Past/Present clients
Individuals, will furnish upon request