Herbs for Health/fertility herbs

Dear Dennis,

In 2005-2006, I had two (possibly three) miscarriages and went to a fertility doctor who gave me the drug Clomid since I had irregular menstrual cycles (6 to 10 weeks between periods).  I conceived and carried to full-term.  I then conceived two more children after that on my own with no problems even though I was breastfeeding and still having irregular cycles.   I was close to 38 when I had my third child.  Now, I will soon be 42 and still hoping for one more child despite the odds.  I had miscarriage in 2012, 2013, and again in 2014.  Every miscarriage I had except the last one were “missed miscarriages” where the baby had died around the 5 to 6 week mark but miscarriage didn’t happen spontaneously.   I added supplemental iodine to my diet before I had the last miscarriage, and I carried that one to almost 12 weeks when it died.  My cycles are usually always five weeks apart now (sometimes 6).  I used to conceive on the first try, but now I have tried for six months and nothing.  I understand it could be my age or stress as my mother has end-stage cancer.  I know the importance of diet and exercise, and I try to stay away from things like wheat , dairy,  sugar and processed foods as much as possible.   I do cheat a little on weekends.  I am very much into nutritional supplementation and herbs and believe fertility can be extended with optimal nutrition.   I use progestelle progesterone oil for the second half of my cycle.  I started to take shatavari and false unicorn root a month ago.  Three months ago, I started to take Femtrol by Enzymatic Therapy brand which contains dong quai root extract, chaste tree berry extract, hesperidin, black cohosh root extract, licorice root/rhizome extract, and fennel seed.   I also drink red raspberry leaf tea.  I have taken just plain chaste berry for years which seemed to help my cycles a little.  I take the herbs during the first half of my cycle only in case I get pregnant.   I also started having sore breasts during the premenstrual period last year which is something new for me, and I would like to get rid of that.  My question is how long does it generally take for herbs to really work and do you think I should be using anything different from the above?   Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

Melodie P.

Hi Melodie,

Sorry for the slow response. I wasn't notified by All Experts. It happens some time.

I'm not familiar with Femtrol but I don't like the licorice root/rhizome extract because extended usage will raise blood pressure.

Red raspberry is a favorite of mine. It decreases menstrual bleeding, relaxes uterine and intestinal spasms, and strengthens the uterine walls.

Damiana is used as a sexual remedy as well as addresses some hormonal issues.

A woman who suffers from premenstrual symptoms such as bloating and breast tenderness is probably ovulating, so if she is having problems becoming pregnant, the cause probably lies elsewhere.

A woman's fertility begins to decrease when she reaches her thirties.

Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) stimulates the pituitary gland and sometimes restores fertility to some women.

Caffeine consumption may prevent some women from becoming pregnant.

Herbs take three to four months to become effective. So be patient. The lower dosage is the reason for the slower effectiveness.

Best wishes to you, Melodie. And again I apologize for the slow response.

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen

I can answer most questions on herb usage and and am very familiar with (gras) herbs, generally recognized as safe. I am very knowlegible in nutritional healing. I have extended education in detoxing the body and fasting for health. I believe in the Naturopathic belief, the body get sick in only two ways; either because it is too toxic, or it is malnurished. I grow, wildcraft, and make most of my herbal remedies.

Past/Present clients
Individuals, will furnish upon request