Herbs for Health/fertility/sore premenstrual breasts

Dr. Habibullah,

Hello, my name is Melodie.  I am 41 and from the state of Pennsylvania in the USA.  In 2005-2006, I had two (possibly three) miscarriages and went to a fertility doctor who gave me the drug Clomid since I had irregular menstrual cycles (6 to 10 weeks between periods).  I conceived and carried to full-term.  I then conceived two more children after that on my own with no problems.  I was almost 38 when I had my last. Now, I will soon be 42 and still hoping for one more child despite the odds.  I had a miscarriage again in 2012 and one in 2013.  All of them were "missed miscarriages” where the baby had died around the 5 to 6 week mark, but bleeding didn't happen spontaneously. I added supplemental iodine to my diet then and carried a baby last year to almost 12 weeks when it died.  My cycles are usually always five weeks apart now (sometimes 6).  I used to always conceive on the first try, but now I have tried for six months and nothing.  I understand it could be my age or stress, as my mother has end-stage cancer. I am using natural/alternative means to deal with stress as well. I know the importance of diet and exercise, and I try to stay away from things like wheat, dairy, sugar and processed foods as much as possible. I use progestelle progesterone oil for the second half of my cycle.  I started to take shatavari and false unicorn root a month ago.  Three months ago, I started to take Femtrol by Enzymatic Therapy brand which contains dong quai root extract, chaste tree berry extract, hesperidin, black cohosh root extract, licorice root/rhizome extract, and fennel seed. I also drink red raspberry leaf tea and take maca root powder. I have taken just plain chaste berry for years which seemed to help my cycles a little.  I only take these herbs during the first half of my cycle only in case I get pregnant. I also started having sore breasts and cramping during the premenstrual period last year which is something new for me, and I would like to get rid of that. So far nothing seems to have helped. My question is how long should I expect it to take for herbs to really work?  Thank you in advance for any information or advice you can give me.

Melodie P.

Dear Melodie.P,
You need stress management, first.  Please dont get stressed for anything, nothing is going to help us if you keep on worrying about anything.  Regarding your prementrual cramping and sore breast dont panic, just try to take One amla fruit a day, that will help you or else take amla Juice (Gooseberry).  Hope this will relieve your problem.  Blue berry is another alternative for you in this management.
Thanking You
Yours sincerely
Dr. Habibullah

Herbs for Health

Dr. Habibullah

I can answer any question related to Indian system of Medicine, disease, or Herbal, mineral, Animal origin drugs used in Indian system of Medicine. I will be much obliged to share my knowledge with people who wish to learn more about alternative system of medicine.

I am a lecturer in Govt. Unani Medical College for the past 5 years. I have been teaching Unani pharmacology in detail and modern Pharmacology basics and Surgery.

I am Lecturer in Govt. Unani Medical College, for the past 9 years. Our college is situated in Arignar Anna Govt. Hospital of Indian Medicine campus in Chennai. It is affiliated to Tamil nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai.

I graduated from Govt. Unani Medical College, Chennai - 106 in 1992, I did my post graduation in Unani Pharmacology in Govt. Nizamia Tibbi College, Hyderabad, in 1998. I have also underwent training in advanced analytical Instruments for drug standardisation.

I am the first Post Graduate from Tamil Nadu, who has graduated from chennai