High School Life/Choosing College

Question
Hi!My name is Anamary. I'm mexican and I am a senior. I want to study International Relations and I would like to study abroad but my parents are not happy about it. I want to convince them but I don't know if it would be worth it, because I'm not sure if it's obligatory to study in your own country to work for its external service. I could use some advice.

Answer
Hi Anamary!

I'm sorry for taking a little while to respond but I've been on a family reunion cruise in Seattle and I've only just gotten back to internet!

Anyways, I am almost positive you don't need to study in your own country for its external services.  In the USA you definitely don't, and this is the case with many other countries I can name off the top of my head, but I can't say for certain for Mexico.  I can't imagine why they would be any different, in fact it is often DESIRABLE to have a degree outside of your own country since it shows you adapt well to other countries besides your own.

As for your parents- you'll have to convince them yourself.  There are some very good schools in Mexico, and there are much better and much worse schools abroad.  If you got into one of the very good schools abroad it would be worth it to leave home, but for an average school abroad you might as well stay home.  Another thing you could look into would be going on exchange abroad for a year.  

Anyways, I hope everything works out and let me know if you have any other questions.  Happy to help!

Best regards,
Dan Rechtschaffen  

High School Life

Dan