Hiking/Backpacking/Camping/Harriman State Park Backpacking

John Smith wrote at 2013-04-10 18:57:18
The answer's not too bad but there is only one "car camping" campground in the park @ Beaver Pond Campground, off of Rt.106.  

The balance of camping in the Park is only at the Shelters, in or within 300'. There are many shelters, some can be reached from a parking area within a short distance.

Nearly all the shelters are set fairly far from a 100% sure water source, but if it rained good within a week of your trip you should be good w/ the little streams.

Keep in mind that all those "stealth" camps are 100% illegal & the park rangers do make passes through the park and will kick you out & issue tickets.  And the reality is there is a lot of damage happening to our Park with this activity.

A wonderful, not too tough, (5 mi.+) O.N. hike is to park on 9W by Iona Island, follow Cornell Mine Trail to R-D Trail south onto Bald Mtn (Have snack, ck. out mine 75' below summit)to T-T Trail onto the Timp (Have Lunch) drop into Timp Pass & get water (May have to follow it a bit north) & press up to the Shelter on West Mtn. Next day (4.5 mi.)back on T-T and go North on woods rd. in Timp Pass into Doddle Town (Neat ruins) via the 1777 Trail to SKI 1777 east & back to parking via Cornell Mine Trail @ it's start.

Like you can see you'll want a good NYNJ Trail map (Harriman-Bear Mtn., Northern #119)

Hiking/Backpacking/Camping

Wounded Knee