Hiking/Backpacking/Camping/Stone Memorial Shelter

Question
My brother and I are planning a quick, overnight, 16 mile loop at Harriman this spring. We're planning on staying at the Stone Memorial shelter. His children aren't big enough yet to make two 8 mile back to back hikes, and they'd very much like to come along. How far is the Shelter from a trail head? What we were thinking was maybe our wives could drive to the trail head with the kids and make a "short" hike and meet us at the shelter. Is this feasible? Thanks for the help!

Benjamin

Answer
You really have only two options for a short hike to the Stone Memorial shelter:

1) Kakiat County Park on Rt. 202 in Montebello (2.9 mi), or
2) Ramapo  Equestrian Center, also on 202 near Ladentown (2.3 mi)

While the distances are relatively short, both involve a fairly significant climb of about 800 ft. This climb is slightly gentler if you start at the equestrian center. The key issue is parking -- easily available at both sites, but not ecessarily overnight. You'll need to make a phone call or two to confirm whether overnght parking is permitted.

That's pretty much it -- hope you find this helpful!

Hiking/Backpacking/Camping

Wounded Knee