Hiking/Backpacking/Camping/Shell pants

Hi Chris,

I was thinking of buying a Shell pant like Velum pants for use during trekking in Himalayas. Now I understand that shell pants are ideally trekking pants which are water resistant however I am not sure if its just an outer pant like a rain wear?

Currently I use a normal cotton track pants while trekking so if I use a shell pant do I need to wear the it over something like a track pant or can I just wear the shell pant directly over under garment without any discomfort.

Presume you got my point

thanks in advance

Its been a while since I've bought shell pants and even longer since I was trekking in the Himalayas but from memory it was too hot to wear 2 layers.  However this will depend on how high you're going, what season you're trekking in and what accommodation you're using.  Based on my experience I'd go for breathability over waterproofness for trekking between the villages or you might end up being as damp from sweat.  

Chris Johnson

I can answer most questions on equipment for outdoor activities such as walking, mountain biking, rock climbing and paragliding, in the UK. I`ve limited watersports experience so you`d be better off asking someone else these questions. Questions about the above activities themselves as well as about the equipment will also be answered as I`ve got several contacts who can pass on information. I`m a keen walker/mountainbiker/rock climber/paraglider pilot in the UK. I`ve been doing outdoor sports for about 15 years including trips to the French Alps and Trekking in the Nepalese and the Indian Himalayas. I`ve been buying and making outdoor clothing and equipment for about the same amount of time.

Waking up at the foot of Annapurna South is something I won't forget. I would say that my first paraglider flight was unforgettable but every flight since seems to have been more unforgettable.