Do they make tents that are nearly pitch black inside? Particularly that are more retangular like a canopy? I am looking for something roomy that could be used for watching movies with an intimate group.

I don't know if there is going to be a great solution without having something made special.  Most moderne tents are made of lighter colors so they will be bright and cheery inside (helps keep you sane on long trips or if you are stuck inside the tent for extended periods - like a supper rainy day).

I'm going to make assumption that this will either be used while car camping or used in the back yard.  If that is the case and weight is not a concern then I have a few suggestions.  You could go two ways.  First suggestion -  they do make a black canopy shelter. I'm not sure if it is black inside, but it's black on the outside so that should cut down on the light.  Second suggestion you could go with a larger car camping tent (6-8 person).  It will not be as dark during the day as the black canopy, but at night they should be pretty close in interior darkness.  I have attached links below to examples of each.  All three examples are 10' x 10', that is about as large as you are going to get without having a custom tent made.  

Black Canopy Tent 100 sqft (probably the best choice for movies)

Two other large car camping tents (both of these are 100 sqft)

I can answer questions pertaining to backpacking/day hiking, snowshoeing, and general camping questions. I can also answer questions pertaining to clothing and equipment selection, maintenance, and repair. I will also be able to answer most general recreation/touring kayaking questions.

I have been very active my whole life; mt biking, running, scuba diving, sailing …etc. I have been an avid hiker for the past 22 years. I have hiked trails in both the national and state park systems in approximately 20 states through out the US. Personally, I enjoy dessert hiking the most and have spent more time in these areas of the country (i.e. Nevada, Arizona, Wyoming, Utah, South and North Dakota Badlands) I have canoed and kayaked in the Boundary Waters (Minnesota), the Missouri River (Montana) and several areas within Minnesota. I have lived/worked at Mammoth Station (park HQ) in Yellowstone National Park. In addition, I spent three years working for a major camping/mountaineering retailer and have a very good understanding of most gear/clothing used for camping, backpacking and kayaking.

BA Sociology, Naval OCS, NETC Newport, RI