How do you say that you broke something in Hindi? Eg, "I broke the mirror".

Hello Hank

Hur står det till ? Ett språk är aldrig nog.

Thanks for taking interest in Hindi. I am glad to be of assistance.

The hindi word (verb) for Broke is "Toda" (To Break = Todna)

I broke = Mainay Toda (Mainay = I, Toda = Broke)

He / She broke = Usnay Toda (Usnay = He or She, Toda = Broke)

You broke = Tumnay / Aapnay Toda (Tumnay / Aapnay = You)
[Tumnay is used for a person younger to you and is also used informally between friends.
Aapnay is used for a person elder to you and is also used formally while addressing people not known to you closely]

We broke = Humnay Toda (Humnay = We)

They Broke = Unhonay Toda (Unhonay = They)

I broke the mirror = Mainay Aaina Toda (Aaina = Mirror)
The pure hindi word for mirror is Darpan but while talking we use Aaina)

Note that in English, mirror comes after broke but in hindi, aaina (mirror)
comes before toda (broke)

He / She broke the mirror = Usnay Aaina Toda
You broke the mirror = Tumnay / Aapnay aaina toda
We broke the mirror = Humnay aaina toda
They broke the mirror = Unhonay aaina toda

NOTE: The T in Toda is French / Spanish T , not the English T. The D in Toda
has no english sound. The D sound is something like "you roll back your tongue
in your mouth and then say D)

In case you still have any doubts, feel free to post a follow-up to this

God Jul och Gott Nytt År, Hank

Skål !

Sambodh Kaul (Associated with AllExperts for over 6 Yrs, Associé avec AllExperts depuis plus 6 Ans)

I can translate and transliterate all words and sentences,letters and paragraphs from English to Hindi and vice versa. NO URDU TRANSLATIONS.ONLY HINDI. I can also answer all questions pertaining to Indian history, literature, economy, culture, art, cuisine, music, dance etc. I shall also help you in learning the basic Hindi words and phrases / sentences that are most useful for a traveller or toursit. ( FRENCH: Je peux répondre aux questions concernant le Hindi et l'anglais. Je peux traduire tout mot ou phrase, lettres ou paragraphes de l'anglais vers le hindi et vice et versa. ATTENTION, PAS DE TRADUCTION EN URDU, SEULEMENT EN HINDI. Je peux également répondre aux questions concernant l'Inde en général: l'histoire, la litterature, l'économie, la culture, l'art, la cuisine, la musique, la danse, etc. Je peux aussi vous aider à apprendre des mots et des phrases de base qui peuvent être très utiles pour les touristes et les voyageurs. )

Hindi is my mother tongue and I have been residing in India since birth.I have written several articles in english as well as hindi for various magazines,hence I am conversant with both the languages. ( FRENCH: Le hindi est ma langue maternelle et j'ai toujours habité en Inde. J'ai écrit plusieurs articles en anglais ainsi qu'en Hindi pour différents magazines. Les deux langues me sont donc familières. )

MBA in Finance and Human Resources. Have studied Hindi at the School and University Level for 13 years.