Hindus/Brihadaranyaka Upanishad Chapter 6

Sriya Coomer wrote at 2013-02-06 10:46:54
This is a clear justification of marital rape-from which other rape ideologies follow. One cannot escape from it merely by suggesting we have to make allowance for men who wrote these oppressive rules because of the day and age.Moreover,forced sex/rape/assault is not sex. It is not about pleasure or desire but about power and getting one's way over another's body whom he considers less significant that himself,so much so that their consent/desire does not matter. Just because one is a woman's husband does not give him the privilege to treat her as chattel and to force "sex" on her based upon his "urgency" of needing to have sex. There are many things right with out scriptures,but there are very many things that are severely wrong and oppressive in them too -instead of glossing over and blatantly justifying those rules written by the powerful,especially the ones which advocate violence and control over women,lower castes etc by virtue of the former being in power,one must confront these in our traditions and see them for what they exactly are.

P.S- It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what this verse means. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Especially religious history of India. I follow 'advaita' philosophy (non-duality) and am an atheist. My answers would be consistent with science and practicality.

Explaining Hinduism for about 8 years.

Science graduate. Extensive studies of hindu scriptures.