Hindus/groove in spirituality

Question
Namastey sir,
         Following is a statement found in one of books of swami Sivananda that;
Lord says "At the time of death, he who thinks of My real Being as the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna, or Narayana, leaves the body and verily reaches my Being. Doubt this not! In whatever form a man thinks of Me at the time of death, that form he attains, that form again being the result of nourishing that thought in a particular groove.
What is the meaning of particular groove? I do not understand whether to get him or after getting him the life  of ours to be thought.In this 'particular groove'

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

The quote you give is a paraphrase translation of the Bhagavad-Gita, Chapter 8:5-6:

"At the end-time who, indeed, remembers me, having left the body, he comes to my being, here there is no doubt. (5)

In whatever way he remembers me when he gives up the body at the end, in that way, indeed, he comes [to me], O Kaunteya, [for] that is the way he has always thought of me." (6)

There is no word in the original Sanskrit verses that means "groove" exactly. However, the idea is that one must remember God at all times throughout life to hope to think of Him at the end and thus be united with Him in death. The way you think of God/dess in life is the way you can expect to realize God/dess at death. Sri Krishna in this verse speaks as the Universal Spirit who is realized in any of many divine forms according to the devotion of the devotee.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William