Hindus/music

Question
Namaste!
What is the Sanskrit word for "music" and what is the hindu definiton of "music"?

Answer
Dear Hank,

Thank you for your question. Although part of your question is outside my area of expertise, I can answer part of it.

There are a number of Sanskrit words for "music," but probably one of the most common and general in meaning is saṃgīta. I am not a student of Indian or Hindu music myself, so I am unaware of any definition of music apart from what I believe most of us accept as a general definition. There is a word for music, gandharvakalā, that means "art of the gandharvas," a reference to celestial musicians.

Modern Indian music has been deeply influenced by Muslim culture. There are pre-islamic concepts of aesthetics in literature, but I have not made a special study of these.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William