Hindus/bondage

Question
Hello sir,
         According to spiritual masters, 'When we enjoy the sense pleasures of the world, we plant the seed for suffering. It is like a cutting tool which holds the nut in one arm and cracks it with the other arm. Similarly, enjoying binds us to the sense objects and we get hit when the situation changes for worse.'
This means if you got sense pleasure you are under bondage, please make me understand how only this enjoying objects can keep you under bondage? What is the exact tatva/theory behind this?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

Vishaya-bhoga is the experience of sense objects. This experience is mixed, both pleasant and unpleasant. What causes bondage is identification with the body-mind through which this experience happens. The experience itself has no power to bind except to the extent one remains attached to the jiva- or individual identity. Ahamkara, or ego, is said to be at the root of this attachment and identification, which is why spiritual masters prescribe disciplines for reducing ego. Sri Ramakrishna said we should place the ego in an relationship with God/dess to counteract the harmful effect of ahamkara.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William