Hindus/Individual Karma Vs Collective Karma

Respected Sir,

Hindus believe in Karma. If I understand it correctly, as a hindu, not only my personal karma but also the collective karma of my family, occupation & country are binding upon me.

When a pujari performs pooja during Diwali, I too, as a hindu, get a share of the light & prosperity that is showered upon all hindu households.

Does this mean that, even though I've never been to Gujrat, I shall have a share in the karma that was accumulated by Hindus in the 2002 Godhra Massacre?

Thanking You.

Dear Amit,

Your understanding is incorrect. You are bound ONLY by the karmas done by you. You will not enjoy/ suffer for the collective karma. The only use of the collective karma is for the God to decide when to resolve the world (Pralya) and when to manifest it again (creation). Other than this collective karma does not have any influence on your life.

When a pujari performs pooja the good karma goes to who contribute money/efforts to the puja and not to everyone.

Karma theory does not distinguish people based on religion, nationality, sex, race, cult etc. In other words whether you are a muslim/ hindu/ christian it does not matter. Whether you believe in Karma theory or not, it still applies to all human beings. Therefore, it does not matter whether you were living in Godhra in 2002 or not. If you harmed someone you will suffer the consequence. Else you will not be affected.

God ensures that everyone experiences the fruits of their past karma. For example a person is born disabled because of his past karma. He is born to a set of parents because of the karma of the parents. So it is always individual karma and collective karma does not affect an individual.

Thanks for asking this important question.

Best wishes,
Raja Subramaniyan

Raja Subramaniyan

Explanation based on Vedanta / Gita which will answer any questions on life leading to Joyful Living

25 years of spiritual studies and written following text books. Gita for Joyful Living ( Path to Joyful Living - I based on Jeeva Yatra ( ) Path to Joyful Living - II based on Sadhana Panchakam( ) Joyful Living based on Panchadashi ( ) Parama Ragasiyam (Tamil) based on Brahma Sutra (