Hindus/samadhi and sleep

Question
Namastey sir,
         What is the exact difference between Samadhi and sleep?
As for a common man, sleep is the highest peace.For a yogi(sat for meditation) samadhi is the ultimate bliss.How you connect both?I heard that doer of samadhi need not go for sleep, as they get that peace, what a common man gets from sleep.

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

There are four states of consciousness, waking, dreaming, dreamless sleep, and Turiya, "the fourth." Samadhi is the means to experience Turiya.

It is only in samadhi that one experiences the Self beyond the limitations of any individual body-mind-ego. Thus it is utterly unique and quite different from sleep. A person who sleeps wakes refreshed but still the same as when s/he went to sleep. A person who enters samadhi emerges a saint, convinced beyond a doubt of the true nature of Self. The peace of samadhi "passes all understanding." It is far beyond the ordinary peace one feels after a good sleep.

Some yogis require little sleep. Some require more.This varies from person to person.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William