Hindus/soul

Question
Is there individual soul? Are they infinite in number? Is the world infinite?Who is managing this universe? What is the purpose of all this happening in our life ?

Answer
Dear Aman,

Thank you for your questions.

We do not speak of "soul" in the Christian sense in Vedanta philosophy. What appears to us as different, separate individuals is the jivataman, a dynamic pattern of composite elements including body, mind, senses, intellect, and ego, illuminated from within by the Atman or Self. Although jivas are many, there is only one Self.

We say jivas are infinite meaning the absolute number is unknown. We say the world or universe is infinite because we do not know its end.

When you ask the purpose of the world, the "why" question, the only answer Hindu philosophers have given is "Lila," play, sport. All this happens as entertainment for the Supreme Self that assumes all these forms of the universe and plays as and through them.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William