Hindus/Tantra

Question
Namastey sir,
         What is Tantra? To my knowledge it is a negative action for own selfish motive. Also it is opposite to the 'Adhyatmika'. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

The word "Tantra" refers to a body of literature, the Tantras, that are sacred scriptures that prescribe how rituals should be performed in the Kali Yuga. They also contain other information such as the science of mantra. It is said that Tantra is Veda for the Kali Yuga.

The word also refers to a style of spiritual practice based on the philosophy that the Divine has become the universe and therefore can be known through it and not merely by renouncing it. Swami Vivekananda applied this philosophy in forming the Ramakrishna MIssion, exhorting his followers to worship jiva as Shiva.

Best wishes,

Brother William  

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William