Hindus/karmic reaction

Question
Respected Sir,
         Please check it out 3 shocking incidents that happened recently.
1.A girl was gang raped by six men and severely injured and finally dead in hospital.
2.A woman brought allegation that her husband forced her to have prostitution for money otherwise her younger sister would be used.And the convicted used her wife many times committing that she will also get money but did not kept his promise.
3.A woman was beaten up brutally by some goons for some reason.

My question is how karma theory plays such tricks to these innocent women? IF it is fruits of their(the women) karma, then why the convicted people would be punished in their life whether in this birth or next birth(as per law of BALANCE of karma).

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

The theory of karma provides a sense of divine justice with the idea that every action has a commensurate consequence. There is no question of karma "playing tricks" on anyone. That is not how it works. If one accepts the theory, we would have to admit that seemingly innocent people who suffer in this life must have committed sins in this or a previous life to warrant this extreme treatment. Those who committed the heinous acts in this life also reap the results of their sinful deeds. The Dharma Shastras warn us not to use karma theory to deny compassion to the suffering, however.

If you do not accept karma theory, then you have to live in a universe that seems unjust and arbitrary. Either way, there is no easy or completely satisfying explanation for seemingly senseless violence and innocent suffering.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William