Hindus/the lingam

Question
hello Sir
 I was recently involved in a conversation about the shiva linga.. The person i was talking to explained  to me that the shiva linga was a depiction of sexual intercourse and that it explains shivas infinite and unending power. he also suggested that married couples when visiting outstation shiva temples should stay there overnight at a boarding facility and that it is good to have intercourse  there or if its possible  to return home before night return home and do it.. i dont know to what extent there is truth in this or is there any hindu practice such as this because he also told me that this is not known to most of the hindus..

Answer
Dear Nivedhan,

Thank you for your question.

The Shiva-linga resting in the Yoni base does suggest sexual intercourse. However, most Hindus do not think of sex when we bow before the Linga. Shiva is Consciousness that is the Witness and substratum of existence. Shakti, represented by the Yoni, is Consciousness manifested as the universe. Shiva is also the compassionate Father, easily pleased, who grants the desires of his devotees unopposed to Dharma. Shakti is the loving Mother of all, who comforts and nourishes all beings.

Some heroic spiritual aspirants will be competent to practice Virācāra at the behest of their Gurus. These may practice sexual intercourse as sadhana. The Shiva-linga/Yoni invites us all to see the same Sat-Cit-Ananda is present in all things, including sex, if we are ready to see that. Anyone can practice seeing Shiva in all male beings and Shakti in all female beings. This is a very beneficial practice.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William