Hindus/spirituality help

Question
repected sir,
      am a graduate engineer and hindu by religion.
till now i have been a idol worshipper and some time ago i started reading works of swami vivekanada as he inspires me.
so i came across vedanta philosophy .Since then i am really very confused. All words like brahman,karma,enlightenment,moksha,yoga constantly coming in my mind and am very stressd.
I am a geek person and i love technology and engineering.
i don't understand those heavy concepts in vedanta .
am very ambitious and wanna be very successfull in my life.
So how can i proceed ???how can i be spiritual and engineer at same.??? i haven't read any scripture or religious book..
please guide me...what shall i do???

Answer
Dear Mr. Patel,

Thank you for your question.

Reading Swami Vivekananda is an excellent way to learn more about spiritual life. However, as you discovered a little reading may not answer all your questions. The concepts of Brahman, Atman, etc. are extremely subtle, and it may take much reading combined with deep thinking and meditation to get to the core of what it all means practically.

There is no contradiction between your life as an engineer and spiritual life as understood in our Sanatana Dharma. We are NOT "Idol worshippers," either. Murtis of God/dess are powerful tools for helping the devoted attain states of deep meditation that produce enlightening insight. The Divine Being can manifest through any murti that is worshipped with devotion, as Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda's Guru, demonstrated in his life. As a scientist you know that to understand reality one must look beyond the mere surface appearance. Go deeper, as Sri Ramakrishna said.

You can get help in your study and spiritual practice at Ramakrishna Mission ashramas located all over India.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William