Hindus/aporoksha jnana

Question
Namastey sir,
         What is the exact meaning of aporoksha jnana? should it be obtained by meditation or reading scriptures with curiosity or by divine bless?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

The meaning of aparokṣa jńāna is "unmediated knowledge." It can also be translated as "direct knowledge." The idea is that the Self can only be known as Subject never as object. It cannot be known through the mediation of the mind and senses like ordinary sense knowledge or even intellectual knowledge. That Truth exists prior to thought, perceptions, and ideas.

Swami Vivekananda spoke of four Yogas by means of which one may attain this ultimate Knowledge. These four are Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Raja Yoga, and Karma Yoga. By any one or by a combination of these one may attain Knowledge.

Meditation, reading scriptures, holy company, pilgrimage, austerity, puja, devotion to God/dess, discipleship to an enlightened Guru—all these are means to prepare oneself to receive Knowledge through the Grace of God/dess.

"Arise. Awake. Having attained the [grace of] the Best [of teachers], be enlightened!" —Kathopanishad (1.3.14)

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William