Hindus/Desire

Question
Hi Sir,

Good day...

It is usually said in terms of Spirituality that Desire is the reason for our Sufferings. So is it wrong to be desirous to succeeded in all our endeavors in life? Without desire to succeed what can be our ambition then?...I am quite confused...

Your assistance will be helpful to me...

SoHum..

Vimal.

Answer
Dear Vimal,

Buddha explained it in a beautiful way. There are good desires (kushal) and bad desires (akushal). What need to be encouraged are 'kushal' desires, and what need to be eliminated are 'akushal' desires. Desire for wholesome things, though, is liberating and enhancing. While the stream of desire for sense-pleasures must be cut eventually, a practitioner on the path to happiness is encouraged by the Buddha to "generate desire" for the fostering of skillful qualities and the abandoning of unskillful ones. Regards,

Aupmanyav

Hindus

Aupmanyav