Hindus/desires

Question
QUESTION: sir, vedanta says desire is root cause of all miseries and suffering and at same time it says to have high aims,goals and ambitions.
sir i am confused over this.How these teachings contradict?

ANSWER: Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your question.

The highest aim and goal of life is to leave behind desire for worldly experience and achievement and realize your essential nature as Atman/Brahman. The desire for God-realization and Self-realization does not bind us. It helps prepare us for liberation. In fact it is a gift of God's grace that demonstrates that God is preparing to reveal himself to us.

Best wishes,

Brother William

QUESTION: sir, that is correct.
but what about my other aims like becoming a perfectionist in my profession or to become a successful businessman?
don't they have any importance in life?

Answer
Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

In the Bhagavad-Gita Sri Krishna says, "Think of me and fight." Do your duty with full attention and love, but know that God/dess alone is the Doer, that all actions can be done as an offering to God/dess. Be the instrument. The more you can keep your mind in God as you work, the more you work will become a yoga and help you attain your ultimate spiritual goal in life.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William