Hindus/msnu smriti

Question
QUESTION: sir, what is manu smriti?

ANSWER: Dear Aaryan,

The Manu Smṛti is probably the oldest and best-known of the Hindu law books, dating to the first century of the common era, one of a class of literature called the Smṛtis dealing with rules of conduct and dietary rules. The Yāj˝avalka Smṛti is another example. The word Smṛiti derives from the root smṛ "remember" and has relatively less scriptural authority than Śruti, "that which is heard."

Best wishes,

Brother William

QUESTION: sir, thank you for sharing knowledge.
sir, as you said, its collection of rules of conduct meant for that time, then should it be followed in today''s world?
is it possible to follow those rules today , as it has many complicated and strict rules?
e.g. dr babasaheb ambedkar burnt manu-smriti, what was the reason?

Answer
Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

In the Kali Yuga the Tantras are the scriptures that guide human conduct. The strict, complicated rules of earlier ages are too strenuous for most people in the age of moral decline. The essential moral rules are non-injury and truthfulness. All other moral rules flow out of these. Sri Ramakrishna used to say that truthfulness especially is the spiritual discipline of the Kali Yuga.

I am not familiar with the story of Baba Sahib Ambedkar burning the Manu Smriti, but perhaps he also believed that it was no longer an appropriate guide for humans in our current time.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William