Hindus/Hindu Deities

Question
Hi Sir,

I am actually not certain about the Deities and DemiGods we have in Sanatan Dharma. I would like to know who are they and where do they live and what is their influence on people?

Thanks a lot.

Om..

Answer
Dear Vimal,

Sorry for the delay in answer (your question was not easy :)). That is no problem for me since I am an atheist advaitist hindu (non-duality, so no Gods or Goddesses for me). They are part of my mythology, around whom my people have constructed stories to teach 'dharma' or the way to live their lives so that we have a peaceful and prosperous society.

For the theists, some of them are self-arisen (Swayambhuh, Shiva, Vishnu), some are proginies of swayambhuhs, some are proginies of mortals who attained immortality (the adityas, sons of Aditi and Kashyapa) have their own abodes to live (lokas) or live in Indra's heaven, oversee the working of the universe, oversee the action of people, if asked help them, and in case the demonic people oppress those who live rightly, take necessary action (for example, Ganesha turned Mushakasura into a mouse). 'Yada yada hi dharmasya glanirbhavati, Bharata; abhyutthanam adharmasya, tadatmanam srijamhyaham.' With best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Aupmanyav  

Hindus

Aupmanyav