Hindus/Hindu Fasting Week Days References.

Question
Dear Aupmanyav

Hindus Fast on all weekdays according to their worship on each day
as Monday - Lord Shiva, Tuesday - Lord Ganesha, Wednesday - Goddess Durga, Thursday - Datta (Brahma,Vishnu, Mahesh), Friday - Goddess Lakshmi, Saturday - Hanuman.

Where can i get the references for these weekdays fasting for specific Hindu Gods worship and fasting ?.
i.e Vedas, Hindu Calendar, literature/books etc

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant,

It is mostly convention and not scriptural reference; and certainly not the Vedas, because none of these Gods or Goddesses are even mentioned in RigVeda. Hinduism is the amalgamation of two religious beliefs, the Aryan and the indigenous. The Vedic Gods, Prajapati, Brihaspati, Indra, Agni, Pusha, etc. are worshiped while we conduct the homas. The Gods and Goddesses you mention are indigenous. There is nothing wrong with this and both the categories should be worshiped, since that is the amalgamation that our forefathers, whether Aryan or indigenous, accepted. It is a very good compromise that they arrived at which benefited both the parties and preserved peace. It could also be in the later puranas or in 'vrata kathas', like the 'Sri Satya Narayan Vrata Katha'. With best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Aupmanyav

Hindus

Aupmanyav