Hindus/question

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
In Taittriya upanishad it is said that; (the translated version)
  The human bliss, multiplied on hundred times, is one measure of the bliss of the human gandharvas, as also of a man versed in the Vedas and free from desires.

This bliss of the human gandharvas, multiplied one hundred times, is one measure of the bliss of the celestial gandharvas, as also of a man versed in the Vedas and free from desires.  

Is it necessary to be versed in vedas for so mentioned above? I think there is no need for person to remember the shlokas present in Vedas.

ANSWER: Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

To be "versed in the Vedas" can mean to realize their essence, which is Oneness. The word Veda means "knowledge," and it is the knowledge of Oneness that is the ultimate knowledge that is also the essence of Veda.

Best wishes,

Brother William

QUESTION: If someone gets versed in Vedas(realizing the oneness) then why he would be placed in celestial regions? If he is versed in vedas then he should get mukti or move to Brahmaloka.

Answer
Dera Jagat,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

I believe the passage you quoted refers to relative experiences of bliss. A person versed in Veda, i.e., an enlightened soul, gets more bliss than the residents of heaven. The idea is to extoll spiritual wisdom, not to catalogue the experiences of those living in heaven.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William