Hindus/recall previous births

Question
    Can the jeevatma(subtle body associated with Atman), after death, recall or remember his previous births those it had come across?

Answer
Dear Jagat,

Thank you for your question.

Jivas usually forget their previous births, much as most of us forget dreams when we awaken. Sometimes some jivas do remember, and some yogis, it is said, can gain past-life recall through specific yogic practices.

My own Guru had an interesting experience in this regard with his Guru. He was massaging his Guru's feet, when he slipped into a trance state. When he came out of the state, he was addressing his Guru with the "tu" form, the most intimate form of address in Bengali. As soon as he realized what he was doing, he changed to the "apani" form as was appropriate. He told us that his Guru had put him in the trance state to verify details of his former life. As it happened, my Guru in his previous life had practiced austerities at the river Narmada with a young man who later become his Guru in his next life.

This kind of experience is unusual, of course.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William