Hindus/reading religious texts in sanskrit

Question
Namaskaar Sir,

I've recently bought a collection of upnishads but they are only in Sanskrit.Although I understand Sanskrit very little(I studied it in school) but still I want to read it.Will it also be beneficial to read scriptures in Sanskrit if the understandable translations are not available?

Thank you
Sameer

Answer
Dear Sameer,

Thank you for your question.

It is always good to read original sources in the original language when possible. A translation can only capture part of the meaning of the original, and translations are necessarily slanted according to the philosophical bias of the translator.

If you cannot read the original, consulting several scholarly translations with commentaries is the best alternative.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William