Hindus/abou marriage

Question
HI SIR,I NEED AN IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION. NOWADAYS LOVE S VERY COMMON FOR ALL.BUT THEY ARE GIVING DIFFERENT NAMES FOR IT LIKE ATTRACTION,INFACTUATION ETC. BREAKING D LOVE FOR SILLY REASONS AND MARRYING ANOTHER S VERY USUAL.BUT ACCORDING TO ME A PURE LOVE S LIKE BHAKTI ON LORD.UNEXPECTED TRUE LOVE WIL ARISE ONLY ONCE IN LIFE AND IT SHOULD NOT CHANGE.I LOVED A GUY SINCERELY,BUT HE BETRYED ME.I BROKE D RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM.EVEN AFTER 1 YEAR IAM UNABLE TO COME ASIDE OF THAT BETRAYAL.FOR ME FORGETTING THIS AND MARRYING SOMEOTHER PERSON S AGAINST OUR CULTURE.I HAVE A STRONG BELIEF IN LORD AND HINDUISM.PLS TELL ME WHETHER MY OPINION S CORRECT ACCORDING TO HINDUISM? WAITING KEENLY FOR UR REPLY SIR.

Answer
Dear Chitra,

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to learn you had a bad experience in love. This is all too common in the world, and you are not alone in your grief.

My recommendation is that you seek counseling, perhaps from a licensed psychotherapist, to help you work through your feelings of betrayal to enable you to move on with your life.

Hindu culture used to prohibit remarriage, but such customs are not rooted in the religion, and they change with time. Do what you feel will bring you fulfillment in life. Having someone to stand by your side in life can be a help in fulfilling one's dharma. A husband is called a saha-dharmi, one who helps and supports you to attain personal fulfillment.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William