Hindus/concept of God.

Question
Hi William,I have so many questions regarding hindusim but my question to u is that how many gods does hindus have,what are there names and why do hindu people drink cow urine?

Answer
Dear Burhan,

Thank you for your questions.

There is One Being-Consciousness-Bliss that has innumerable faces, attributes, and names, too many to count. There are five chief manifestations, each with many names and forms, that encompass most of current Hindu practice and belief. They are Vishnu and his incarnations, Shiva, Devi, Ganesha, and Skanda.

Cow urine is used along with four other products of the cow for ritual expiation and purification. I personally have only seen the five products of the cow used together one time in the funereal rites of a monk, the mixture being spread over the body that had been ritually bathed and then washed again after application of the five products.

I am unaware of any Hindus who drink cow urine, nor is this a practice encountered in the religion of the Upanishads and Bhagavad-Gita. If the practice occurs, it would be a cultural or individual idiosyncratic practice.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William