Hindus/karma yoga

Question
QUESTION: Sir what is the goal of karma yoga?
How a karma yogi attains enlightenment?

ANSWER: Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your questions.

The goal of karma yoga, as of all yogas, is liberation, moksha. One may perform karma in a devotional mode, as in puja, or in a philosophical mode, as when action is seen as the activities of the gunas, i.e., Prakriti, only and one identifies with the Self.

This is by necessity as very brief treatment of a big topic. The common element in either type of karma yoga is mindfulness, performing the actions while remembering the Divine or the Self. As Sri Krishna told Arjuna in the Gita: "Remember me and fight."

Best wishes,

Brother William

QUESTION: Thank you sir for your answer.
Sir I wanted to know wheather a person attains realization only by doing karma yoga alone?
Dont he need to do any spiritual practices or sadhana like japa,meditation,study of scriptures etc.
Does he attains liberation merely by doing karma as karma yoga?

Answer
Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

Swami Vivekananda said that a karma yogi can attain the highest through karma yoga alone. Sri Ramakrishna told a story about a sadhu who learned a lesson from a hunter who attained Brahma-Jnana by serving his invalid father and from a housewife who attained the highest by serving her husband.

Swamiji generally advocated combining karma with other yogas, however, and many revered monks I have known have said one can best make karma a yoga by practicing meditation and other spiritual disciplines alongside karma. Puja ritual, though chiefly karma, also includes prayer and meditation.

Best wishes,

Brother William  

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William