How could a Hindu abide by ahimsa if they are involved in a profession or hobby that is violent or involves the destruction of other living things, such as a loggers or boxers?

Dear Hannah,

You have already read my reply which I reproduce below. If there are other questions, please let me know. If you want to consult other experts, write to Brother william, Raja Subramaniam, etc.

"Boxing with utmost regard for injuries to the contestants is but a game, but kick-boxing certainly will not be appreciated. Wrestling is sort of a national game in India in the villages and some times people may get injured even in that, but that is happenstance.

In villages, people collect wood for fuel but they do not harm healthy trees. Logging would not be appreciated by some people, but if it is one's profession, it is OK. Similarly, if selling meat is someone's profession, that too is OK. There is a 2000 year old story in a hindu religious book (Bhagawat Purana) in which we accept that we can never be completely non-violent (the story of 'Dharma Vyadha' - the pious butcher). Violence is not prohibited for a soldier if he is fighting for a right cause, nor it is prohibited in case some one is attacked. Hinduism is a practical religion and does not demand extremes. But causing harm unnecessarily to a living being (human, animal, or vegetation) is not appreciated."

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Especially religious history of India. I follow 'advaita' philosophy (non-duality) and am an atheist. My answers would be consistent with science and practicality.

Explaining Hinduism for about 8 years.

Science graduate. Extensive studies of hindu scriptures.