Hindus/Ahimsa question

Question
If Ahimsa is to protect every other soul is deforestation against the Hindu way of life "Ahimsa"?

Answer
Dear Guy,

You are right. Deforestation or damage to plants, even if the trees may not be considered to have a soul (some, however, believe that) is an act against nature, and is not looked upon as good in hinduism. What is allowed is to use it as food. That way, we are not even against non-vegetarian food in communities where it is a tradition. More than half of the hindus are non-vegetarians. Our books accepted 'Jeevo jeevasya bhojanam' (one living being is food for another). However, Ahimsa and vegetarianism is considered better than non-vegetarianism, and a must for those seeking to advance in spirituality. Hunting for fun is an anathema. With best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Aupmanyav

Hindus

Aupmanyav