Hindus/will

Question
.
1.vedanta says we dont do any action and life happens to us.
How is it?
2.vedanta says there is no free will is illusion.how it could be as I can decide to do something or not.

All these question are pushing me towards inactivity..

Answer
Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your questions.

Inaction is not an option, as Sri Krishna says in the Gita. Your own nature will force you to act. Our problem lies in identifying exclusively with the body-mind, which is very limited in its power. Sri Ramakrishna used to compare it to a cow tethered to a post. It can move somewhat freely within the tight circle of the tether but not beyond that boundary.

True freedom exists only the Atman, the infinite, eternal Consciousness that manifests as the universe and its many beings. The body-mind is like a tiny bubble floating on an infinite ocean, swept here and there by the currents of life. Nevertheless, the bubble is of the same substance as the ocean. Knowing your essence apart from the limiting form is like having the bubble pop and merge with the ocean, becoming one with its power. In this way you can know true freedom.

As long as you have the sense of being the doer, you will feel you have free will, even if that is an illusion. When you realize that God/dess alone is the Doer, then you will understand how that One Being works through and as you.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William