Hindus/Bad things happen

Question
From my reading, in Eastern philosophy or Eastern Cultures, when bad things happen to people, they seem to take personal responsibility rather than blaming other(s).

I have been unable to find more information on why this is.

Some examples I've seen:-
"Both happiness and sadness are within you and you are the root cause"
"good and bad that happens to one, is NEVER because of others"

Can you expand on this, or point me to sources where I can expand my understanding.

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Mr. Hersey,

Thank you for your question.

The theory of karma, cause and effect, underlies the Hindu and Buddhist belief that we are responsible for what happens to us. The circumstances of our birth, parentage, social status, wealth, our personality, and potentials are the results of our actions in this or past lives. The theory of karma provides a rational sense of order and justice to our understanding of how the universe works. It also indicates how to improve our circumstances through choosing actions that uplift us materially and morally.

You can read more about karma theory here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/kyog/kyog01.htm.

Best wishes,

Brother William  

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William