Hindus/love

Question
Sir i have few questions
1.is love always selfish? Can we truly love someone?
2.how do know that i love someone and it is not an attachment?

Answer
Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your questions.

You are right to question the meaning of love when the word is used in so many different ways that it has become almost meaningless. People say they love certain foods, or places, or people, often confusing love with "desire." Love and desire are definitely not the same.

True love is selfless, wanting only the best for the object of love. Any love mixed with personal desire is less-than pure or true love.

Can we truly love someone? I believe so, but it takes rigorous self-awareness and honesty to distinguish what we love from what we desire. Love always produces joy. Attachment and desire always produces sorrow. This is the test.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William