Hindus/selfishness

Question
Should we be selfish or selfless in life and why?

Answer
Dear Sushant,

Thank you for your question.

What do you mean when you speak of "self"? This is the key question. The point is to realize the true Self, the Atman, and be liberated. For this to happen you must detach your identity from the false "self," the body-mind pattern you normally think of as yourself. In doing this you will realize your true nature as infinite Consciousness, and then you are free of all bondage.

Ordinary selflessness, by which people usually mean thinking of others welfare before our own, can be a spiritual practice that helps one gain detachment from the false self on the way to discovering one's true Self.

Best wishes,

Brother William  

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William