Hindus/Ahimsa

Question
Dear Swapan Garain,
         I am a GCSE student, who is currently studying 'Ahimsa' in my Philosophy and Ethics lessons, and was wondering if I could ask you a question?

Does Verbal Abuse count as being violent, and if so, is it breaking the rules of 'Ahimsa'; bringing bad Karma to the person, even though they are not being Physically Aggressive? For example, if a Hindu was being verbally abused, would it be in their best interests to just walk on and ignore the person who is being verbally abusive, or are they 'allowed' to retaliate, without bringing bad Karma to themselves? Or would this class as violence, even though the Hindu is not being Physically Aggressive. In summary, does 'Ahimsa' refer to Non-Violence, or Non-Injury?

I look forward to hearing your reply!

Kindest Regards,

Tom

Answer
Dear Tom

Ahimsa refers to non-violence, non-injury and no harm. However, Dharma, even in Ahimsa does allow one to protect the weak even by resorting to necessary violence/injury/harm caused to the other. Its a relative term.

Hope that helps

Dr Garain  

Hindus

Swapan Garain