Hindus/Ahimsa

Question
Does Ahimsa still apply for someone fighting in a war who's purpose is to protect and fight back?

Thank you

Answer
Dear Molly,

Thank you for your question.

Dharma, duty, differs according to one's inner nature and station in life. A soldier whose duty it is to fight others would be derelict in his duty if he refused to do that. The idea is that soldiers and those like them protect the innocent and fight the wicked who would harm them. Refusing to fight those who would harm the innocent is then a form of himsa, "harm." Therefore, for a soldier fighting when necessary is the best practice of ahimsa.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William