Hindus/self less service

Question
respected sir,
   lord advised arjuna to do selfless service and his duty.
then,should we abandon our dreams,personal accomplishments,desires and serve others?
how can we progress in life if we don't look after ourselves and serve the others?

Answer
Dear Aaryan,

Thank you for your question.

Sri Krishna says you should do your own duty (dharma) and not the duty of others. (3:35) You discover your own dharma by realizing your abilities, aptitudes, and dreams. Sri Bhagavan says to follow your dharma, but act with detachment (vairagya). Realize that the gunas of Prakriti alone do everything, and find your true, unchanging identity in the Atman. (3:27)

Your dharma is determined by your svabhava, your own nature. Follow that practicing ahimsa (non-injury) and satya (truthfulness) while keeping your mind in God, and you will achieve all the four fruits of life, dharma (personal fulfillment), artha (materially security), kama (fulfillment of righteous desires), and moksha (liberation).

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William