Hindus/WHAT IS THE ORIGINAL NATURE OF ATMAN?

Question
QUESTION: DEAR SIR,

WHAT IS THE ORIGINAL NATURE OF ATMAN?

THANKS

ANSWER: Dear Vineet,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

The original nature of Atman is Being-Consciousness-Bliss, Saccidānanda.

Best wishes,

Brother William

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I am not understanding fully what you want to convey the message can u tell me in brief either explain this for me please.

Thanks

Answer
Dear Vineet,

Thank you for your questions.

Is there some specific question you have about my answer? This is not new or surprising information. It is the foundation of Vedanta philosophy.

Being is existence. It is the fabric of reality.

Consciousness is the principle of awareness. It is inherent in existence—IS existence—as everything is a manifestation of Consciousness. Think of the dream state, in which you perceive various people, animals, buildings, and other features, much like the waking state but often fantastic. All the objects in the dream are made of the substance of though, i.e., Consciousness. The waking state is just the same, though when we view it through our body-mind identity, it appears material.

Bliss is incomparable peace and joy.

These three are not attributes of Atman but its very substance. However, as Ramakrishna said, the actual truth of Brahman/Atman can never be put into words because it exists prior to language, prior to thought, prior to our phenomenal experience. The only way to know it is to become it, as various Upanishads say, "The knower of Brahman becomes Brahman."

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William