QUESTION: Hello sir,
I am an brahmin girl, but fell in love with a lower caste boy, but my mother did agree for marriage i neglected him badly, he took poison in front of me, i left him in the road itself and went to marry a boy of my mother choice, is that correct what i have done, as mother told caste is very much important, if u marry that boy, i will commit suicide, so left that boy, please advice me

ANSWER: Dear Archana,

This sounds so unbelievable. But if it is true, it is a horrendous thing that you have done. You loved someone and then did a selfish thing. Now you are holding on to the excuse of your mother. All mothers say that, and if all were to commit suicide, the world's population would have been less than half!

You enjoyed your company and now dumped your partner. That is arrant selfishness.

With best wishes,
Swami Narasimhananda

QUESTION: i know sir, what i have done is wrong, but i was not having any other option , my dad expired when i was young, my mother struggled a l t and brought me up, mother affection is very important and thought at least let my mother be happy. i know he cant forget me as he loved me more than his family , should i ask him sorry for what i did and spoiling his life.

Dear Archana,

What you did was wrong. If you truly love your mother, you should have asked her consent before getting into this relationship. Knowing full well that it has no future, you enjoyed the relationship. So, it is not true that you had no other option.

Telling sorry is the minimum you can do. So, immediately apologise to the boy and do that in front of your mother. Otherwise, there could be further involvement between you two.

With best wishes,
Swami Narasimhananda

Swami Narasimhananda

Any question on the philosophy or practice of Hinduism and Vedanta.

A Hindu monk of the Ramakrishna Order. Writes and speaks on Hinduism, Gita, Upanishads, Vedanta, Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda, Sri Sarada Devi.

Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission.

Prabuddha Bharata.

Graduate from a reputed university.