Hindus/Ravana teaching lakshman

Question
Dear Sir,

Why did Ram wanted Laksman to learn from Ravana, when he was shot with arrow and defeated. Even though, it was Ravana who abducted his wife in retaliation.

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Vivek,

Thank you for your question.

Although we think of Ravana only as an evil rakshasa, he was in fact a great devotee of Vishnu. He was one of the two doorkeepers of Vishnu, cursed by a sage either to incarnate ten times as God's devotee or three times as God's enemy. He chose the latter option.

Ravana's "yoga" was hatred. He hated Rama so much, he thought of him day and night. Thinking of God day and night in any mood is liberating. Therefore, as Ravana lay dying, he was a liberated soul, and therefore a worthy teacher for Lakshmana.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William