Hindus/Bhagavad Gita

Question
Hi Swami,

Just finished reading the Bhagavad Gita (Mahatma Gandhi translation) and just had 2 questions in regards to what he wrote and if you could help me with them:
1. He talked about the 5 cardinal vows of which one is celibacy. How would that go with todays society and following that vow? I mean what if i wanted to start a family and have kids?
2. He never mentions reincarnation or anything of that sort, is that because he didn't believe in it or is it that the Bhagavad Gita simply doesnt talk about it?

Thanks heaps for your help!

Nik

Answer
Dear Nik,

1.Brahmacharya means control of the mind and the senses and does not only mean celibacy. So, you can marry and have kids but you should be running after sense-pleasures. And it is very much possible even today. Many people practise it even being married.

2. Sri Krishna does talk about how souls migrate from one birth to another after death. You can see it in the eighth chapter and elsewhere.

With best wishes,
Swami Narasimhananda

Hindus

Swami