Hindus/help

Question
Namaskar
My question is about worship while performing puja my mind wanders and forcefully think about  very bad things like toilet places vulgar images why this happens to me should I meditate for performing puja?
Thanks!

Answer
Dear Suresh,

Thank you for your question.

The purpose of puja and other sadhanas is to purify the mind. If our minds were already pure, we wouldn't need to do them.

Never allow any stray or unwanted thoughts to trouble you. Neither fight nor entertain bad thoughts, for doing either only energizes them. Rather, quietly, patiently bring your mind each time back to the feet of God/dess. Pray earnestly for devotion and right knowledge. Ask that you never be deluded by Maya. In time your mind will become pure, through the Grace of God/dess.

Also, do japa of the deity's mantra throughout the day every waking moment your full attention is not needed elsewhere. It is like pouring pure water into an inkwell attached to a desk. At first the water that comes out seems very dirty. But as you continue to pour pure water into the inkwell, it will gradually become clean.

Best wishes,

Brother William

Hindus

William Schindler, a.k.a. Brother William